Michael V. Pepe is a tenacious litigator whose national practice is dedicated solely to advocating on behalf of policyholders in complex coverage disputes against insurance carriers. He has extensive experience representing companies within the real estate and construction industries, particularly with respect to claims and litigated disputes involving professional liability, commercial general liability, builder's risk, cyber liability, and subcontractor default insurance.
Prior to joining SDV as an insurance coverage attorney, Michael represented general contractors, subcontractors, architects, and owners in contract disputes, construction defect claims, and surety bond claims. Michael also represented franchise business owners in litigation, contracting, leasing, and asset sales, providing Michael with a deep understanding of the business needs of his clients.
In addition to his active litigation practice, Michael advises insurance brokers and corporate risk management teams on all lines of coverage. He assists clients with strengthening contractual risk transfer and insurance coverage at the time of contract drafting and negotiation, as well as during policy placements and renewals.
Representative matters include:
- Secured a seven-figure settlement on behalf of a real estate developer for claims against builder's risk insurance carrier for business interruption losses involving issues of post-loss market conditions.
- Secured a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of a design-build specialty subcontractor from a professional liability insurer and two general liability insurers for construction defect claims involving a hotel construction project in Minnesota.
- Secured a multi-million-dollar settlement from a pollution insurance carrier for de-contamination costs associated with virus outbreak on behalf of building owner.
- Secured a multi-million arbitration award on behalf of a national construction manager for claims against a subcontractor default insurance carrier.
- Developed and implemented contract language, policies, and procedures on behalf of a multi-billion-dollar REIT to perform insurance due diligence in connection with multi-family development investments.
Michael is the Managing Partner of SDV’s Northeast offices in Connecticut and New Jersey and serves as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He also acts as a mentor to attorneys and legal support staff, offering education and support surrounding the practice of insurance coverage law through the firm’s Mentorship Program.
Michael is a regularly published author and is frequently invited to speak on insurance and risk management topics at conferences nationwide. He also serves as liaison to the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Documents Committee.